Emily Woods, LCPC
Emily Woods holds a Masters degree in Clinical Counseling from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. Emily primarily works with young professionals who are experiencing distressing life events and may be struggling with anxiety, trauma, low self-esteem, or relationship issues. With compassion and respect for her clients’ stories, together they begin understanding emotions, restructuring unhelpful thinking patterns, identifying solutions, and establishing more positive lifestyle habits. Often one small change can set a series of bigger changes in motion.
Emily welcomes clients as they are; offering genuine warmth and a judgment-free space to help them gain clarity and direction. In addition to traditional psychotherapy Emily is trained in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), which is type of therapy that has proven helpful for people suffering from traumas, both big and small.
Emily holds a BS in Marketing from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. Emily spent her early career working in corporate retail as a shoe buyer. While Emily still enjoys fashion, she has re-channeled her passion for analyzing consumer trends into a more personally rewarding career; helping others better understand and accept themselves.
My Specialty: EMDR
When a disturbing event occurs it can get locked in the brain with the original images, feelings, thoughts, and body sensations. This can lead to problems as the brain links present experiences to these disturbing memories.
EMDR allows the brain to reprocess the traumatic events; keeping what information is useful and discarding what is not. EMDR seems to stimulate your brain’s natural healing process, but ultimately you are the one in control. EMDR is helpful for people who feel trapped by their past and desire to work towards a healthier resolution.
Continuing education in the following areas:
- Group, Peer, and Triadic Clinical Supervision Strategies
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Training (EMDR)
- Solution-Focused Eye Movement Integration Workshop Series
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 1 Clinical Training
- Sexual Intelligence: 10 Things Every Therapist Needs to Know About Sex
- Domestic Violence Training Workshop
- 40 Hour Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention Certification
Experience leading groups or workshops on the following topics:
- Stress Management and Preventing Burnout: How to Help Yourself Relax
- Holistic Wellness and Self-Care
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Trauma Recovery and Empowerment
- Women’s Interpersonal Relationship Building
Additional graduate coursework specializing in:
- Human Sexuality
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)